About Me

My photo
Kevin and I have been married for 19 years. We have two heart grown children from the United States,adopted at birth, Garrett 16 and Morgan 14, one heart grown child from Ukraine in 2008, Justin age 13. We also have two dogs, Mattie and Halley, adopted from the local animal shelter. Adoption is close to our family's heart.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Leaving Odessa







After 14 hours of riding the train we finally made it to Kiev this morning about 8:00am. The ride was something else. It had to be at least 100 degrees last night inside the train! I was ready to be sick. Kevin and I call this ride the "Shake and Bake Train". The windows in the cabin do not open and if you open your door it is even hotter. I walked down the hall to the "Toliet" and there were people sprawled out on their beds in just there underwear dying in the heat. Kevin called me this morning and said "I am so proud of you. When you get home, I am going to treat you like a queen!" I am going to take him up on that! Actually, he always treats me like a queen.

When we arrived in Kiev, "Nick" took us to the clinic for the medical exam. Justin seems to be in good health. The exam is required before you can get your Visa. It was about 1:30pm when that was accomplished and the Embassy is only open until noon. I went anyway and they were really nice. I told them I really want to go home on Friday and he took me anyway. Tomorrow we have our interview and hopefully will receive Justin's Visa. Justin and I are both so excited about coming home. It has been a long, hard journey.

Yesterday we had to check out of our hotel by 12:00pm. We weren't getting the train until the evening. I was concerned about what we would do all those hours. We were staying at the Odessa Executive Suites. Scott the owner was so kind he allowed us to stay in the two bedroom apartment for free so we had a place to hang out before we left. If you are ever in Odessa, I highly recommend this place. It is close to everything and they speak English. They are very helpful.

3 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

Honey, the pictures of Odessa are as beautiful as you described. Congratulations on surviving the train ride! I still think you should have posted pictures of how you looked in the morning.

It is just like you to go to the embassy even though they were closed and still manage to get what you needed! We are praying for you to get the visa and fly home on Friday. I am holding you and Justin in my heart longing for our family to be together.

I AM so proud of you and I love you!! Kevin

Rochelle & Misty said...

Pam, it is so exciting that you will finally get to come home!!! Kevin has my extra turkey for you to cook for your Thanksgiving....you did promise the kids you would do Thanksgivng when you got home, didn't you? I would gladly cook it for you but, I know you guys will have a great thanksgiving being all together. We are so happy you will be returning to the USA with your new son. Travel safe, see you soon....
love, Dad, Mom and Misty

Tami said...

I loved staying at OES. They treated us wonderfully while we were there.
Congratulations on surviving the train ride. I was on my own when it was time to bring Maddie home, so I opted to hire a driver. It was pricey...but by that point I was only interested in comfort. I'm a wimp that way. ;>)

The Gift of Adoption

The Gift of Adoption

A very inspiring video! Please scroll to the bottom of our blog and turn off the music before you push play on the video. This way you will avoid having sound on both features.