About Me

My photo
Kevin and I have been married for 19 years. We have two heart grown children from the United States,adopted at birth, Garrett 16 and Morgan 14, one heart grown child from Ukraine in 2008, Justin age 13. We also have two dogs, Mattie and Halley, adopted from the local animal shelter. Adoption is close to our family's heart.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Preparing for a Good Word

After reading some other blogs and seeing short notice for travel, I have decided I should start some preparations. If Ukraine gives only a couple of days to travel I want to be prepared. The last thing I would want, is to say we can't get ready that fast. After praying for several months about what to do with my kids, God has made it clear. Some homeschooling friends are in between homes right now and have been gracious enough to agree to watch the kids and house sit. This is an ideal situation for us. The kids can stay in their own home, our pets can be cared for and the house doesn't have to be empty. They homeschool so that dilemma is solved. I have another family who is willing to take the kids on weekends to give some relief to my friend Mary's family. This is really a relief to me to know that my kids will be loved and well cared for. I have begun my lists of emergency numbers, bought luggage, started gathering various items other people who have traveled recommended. We ordered new kids bunk beds which should arrive in the next couple of weeks. We checked into getting new bills (Used bills are unacceptable) from the bank and were told they have to be ordered from the Federal Reserve and that they won't be available until December! Tomorrow, Kevin will check further into that. There has to be a way to get them sooner than December. We have even checked into flights! In order to get an adoption discount, there are some preliminary things to get together. It will be nice to have some of this done ahead of time. I know when we get word, my mind is just going to go blank. I am finally excited again, knowing our dossier has been resubmitted.

Trying to get myself organized with some of the packing and long list of "To dos" helps me keep my mind off the frustration of the process. I can look at this two ways, I will be prepared to go or I could be crushed if we don't get to go. I am choosing to believe God has a plan and I am part of it. I really think we will get notice very soon. I am praying that way anyway.

Colossians 3:23, 24 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

5 comments:

... said...

God knows what His plan for you and He will take you to Ukraine when your child is ready to come home. For us, there were so many signs that it wasn't our time and then...He walked with us through this amazing journey and our Ella was there waiting.

Ken and Joy said...

So glad it was resubmitted, but sorry you are having all the troubles. Hopefully everything is good now and you will be able to travel soon!! That is exciting!

junglemama said...

It could happen very quickly. We had less than three weeks notice.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Congratulations on your submission!

It is wise to start planning now. We bank at two different banks and had to go to several different branches to get the amount of money we needed. It doesn't have to be brand new or have certain serial numbers. Just make sure the bills are as new looking as possible. Be EXTREMELY picky! No folds in the middle, no marks whatsoever, no tears. Look on the back and front, then look again.

We withdrew a certain amount, then went through the bills keeping the best ones and continually changing the worn ones. It took several weeks. We were finally able to get some new fifties from our bank. You can take twenties, but my husband liked hundreds because they took up less room.

Bungie cords are great for hanging your newly washed clothes on. Take a small, foldable umbrella. You won't find those easily. You will not find washrags. Many of the towels we had in our apartments were pretty thin and worn also. You might want to take a small bottle of Downy wrinkle release.

You can find American shampoo like Herbal Essences, Sunsilk and I think Pantene. They even have some good brands of their own. And they don't cost too much either.

You can find bar soap and good liquid hand soap. We used the hand soap for washing clothes and it did a great job.

This is what we would if we were to go back again: Pack no more than 3 sets of clothes, maybe one extra set for the SDA/court (you can wear the same outfit:) and take one quart size bag apiece for toiletries. Travel size toothpaste does last a long time. We had about 3 tubes or so and that lasted us the whole five weeks our first trip. You can find kleenex, good paper towels and toilet paper if you look for them. We even found small packages of wet wipes at our little grocery store.

adoptedthree said...

I had to be in UA for my appointment on a Thursday morning and got notice that Sunday around noon. Less then 48 hours! Dont worry about ordering bills from the Fed Reserve. We never have. Just make sure they are the newer ones and not defaced. Use any older ones for airline traveling, etc... Bring smaller bills too as we have always needed lots of fives!

The Gift of Adoption

The Gift of Adoption

A very inspiring video! Please scroll to the bottom of our blog and turn off the music before you push play on the video. This way you will avoid having sound on both features.