About Me

My photo
Kevin and I have been married for 19 years. We have two heart grown children from the United States,adopted at birth, Garrett 16 and Morgan 14, one heart grown child from Ukraine in 2008, Justin age 13. We also have two dogs, Mattie and Halley, adopted from the local animal shelter. Adoption is close to our family's heart.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

What!!! The Chicken Pox???







No, I didn't think things were going to go perfectly smooth getting ready but I didn't expect my kids would catch the Chicken Pox right now either! Yes, yesterday my daughter Morgan kept complaining of bug bites on her body. She had the vaccination for Chicken Pox and so did Garrett. I didn't think twice about Chicken Pox but didn't think it was bug bites either. I took her to the pediatrician and she confirmed yes, it is Chicken Pox. We had a very relaxing day yesterday watching Ann of Green Gables (I love those movies). It was a nice day to just snuggle together on the couch. I kept falling asleep. I made chicken noodle soup for dinner. Today Garrett woke up with a really bad stomach ache. He is still laying in bed (very unusual for him). Even though Morgan has the spots, she is reading to Garrett trying to comfort him. Last night I had a fever and today I have a stomach ache too! I have had the Chicken Pox and so has Kevin. Fortunately, I have most things ready to leave so I don't have much to do except clean my house.

I contacted all the people who will be caring for my children while we are gone and they said it was no big deal to them. They have all either had the virus or the vaccine. I was relieved to hear that. I prayed last night that if Kevin or I were to get sick, please let it be before we leave. I certainly don't want shingles or something like that in Ukraine! We plan to take it really easy again today. The doctor put Morgan on an antibiotic to help shorten the time of the virus.

We would appreciate your prayers for our family. I still believe everything will be fine by Monday when we leave. :)

7 comments:

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

I am sorry to hear your kids are feeling ill. I am sure they will be in good hands while you are gone.

Connie said...

Unbelievable--really! :-)

But, I can/will say that this sort of thing is another one of those unique 'threads' woven into your VERY special adoption story!! :-)

Kristen said...

I'm sorry to hear the kids have the chicken pox, though it sounds like you all are making the very best of it!! :)

I will be praying of you guys...you are so on my heart! I can't believe Monday is the BIG DAY!! It's amazing how God brings deliverance to our waiting at unexpected times. :)

Anyways, I wish you guys the very best, and can't wait to see your new beautiful children!!

Lots of love,
Kristen (from PA)

PS Is that a Stealer's football Garrett is holding? Go Pitt! ;)

Laurel said...

We are praying for your whole family and will be following your journey! God Bless.
Laurel

junglemama said...

Oh my. How hard this must be for you. I know it is not a huge deal, but the timing could not be more stressful. I wish you the best and hope you get to blog all about your journey.

Tami said...

AUGH! We're praying for all of you.

Matt and Aimee said...

Of course, "Chicken Pox"! Are you kidding? Our 15 year old back home had a diabetes/epilepsy siezure 5 days after we left!! Get used to it and a rediculous number of other things that will happen. I took a "3rd person" approach to the process and never became unraveled because I had very low expectations. Actually, things went fairly smooth for us. Rules, expectations ang policy change DAILY!!! Kevin; "ZERO" reactions to almost everything should be your #1 goal. We leave Tuesday morning after 5 weeks with our new 15 year old Ukrainian Princess, at least she thinks she is. It's the experience of a life time and thank God our application only gave us 2 kids betweene 10-16, other wise we'd be coming home broke and with a 1/2 dozen more. Couple things: as soon as you know your embassy appointment is secured for the visas, book flights out for the next day, learn the cyrillic alphabet and how to pronounce the letters!!! Take care. So long from Kiev and I'll be following your trip. Matt

The Gift of Adoption

The Gift of Adoption

A very inspiring video! Please scroll to the bottom of our blog and turn off the music before you push play on the video. This way you will avoid having sound on both features.