About Me

My photo
Kevin and I have been married for 19 years. We have two heart grown children from the United States,adopted at birth, Garrett 16 and Morgan 14, one heart grown child from Ukraine in 2008, Justin age 13. We also have two dogs, Mattie and Halley, adopted from the local animal shelter. Adoption is close to our family's heart.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What is God teaching us?

I hit rock bottom a few weeks ago. The roller coaster emotions and delays of the adoption, anxiety over my job, and a nagging bad back left me a wreck. I was cross with Pam and the kids and ready to chuck it all for another geographic move to who knows where. Pam's nerves were a frazzle too and we asked each other one morning, "what is God teaching us?"

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks: contentment. We were so anxious to get the adoption done and bring the kids home that we were not content with each other and the two beautiful children we already have. We let the world rob us of our joy and contentment that only comes from our relationship with Christ. We wanted it in our time instead of God's time.

Once we got that straight, we realized how God had used this time to prepare us and our home. He put us on a more stable financial footing and gave me reassurance at work. He gave us time to do some much needed home repairs. He helped me to lose weight which has taken some of the strain off my back. He put us in a wonderful church family that teaches, disciples, prays for us and loves us. He deepened our love for Him, for each other and Garrett and Morgan. Since that realization, we see with different eyes and wait on the Lord to lead us.

"Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13

Kevin

1 comment:

Stephanee&Zach said...

You don't know me but I've been to your blog a few times. We are in much the same place and hope to submit in August as well. We are adopting two older girls - one of whom we hosted at Christmas. And we are learning much of the same things from the Lord - waiting on His perfect timing and being content in the joys of today :) Maybe we'll be in Ukraine at the same time. What region are you going to?

The Gift of Adoption

The Gift of Adoption

A very inspiring video! Please scroll to the bottom of our blog and turn off the music before you push play on the video. This way you will avoid having sound on both features.