About Me

My photo
Kevin and I have been married for 19 years. We have two heart grown children from the United States,adopted at birth, Garrett 16 and Morgan 14, one heart grown child from Ukraine in 2008, Justin age 13. We also have two dogs, Mattie and Halley, adopted from the local animal shelter. Adoption is close to our family's heart.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

"The Internet Cafe"

Before we got on the train
Train Cabin




nside our cabin of the train
The Ukraine Train
The Clinic where we ar staying
open market
Our beautiful bedroom with our homemade clothesline
Internet Cafe
downtown Belgorod
open market
Got a great night sleep on beds that groaned every time you turned over. Robert and I went to the market to get some supplies and we had eggs and perogis for breakfast. The Clarks weren't too sure about the perogis but chowed down after tasting them. We had a quiet morning and did a morning devotion rather than going to church today. We will try it out next week.

We are posting from an internet cafe today, so we won't be able to Skype with our kids or communicate except through this blog or our e-mail. We have to use their computer and can't use the laptop that we brought.

Our Formula One race driver, Eugene, got us here in record time at 120k/hr on city streets, even passing ambulances. We have learned that taxi driving is considered an extreme sport in Ukraine.

Pam and I are going to do a little exploring of Belgorod today and find a market to make dinner. Shopping is a new experience here. Sort of like Mexico meets Eastern Europe. The people are nice and the produce is very fresh out of the ground (with the dirt still hanging on to it). Pam is struggling with a meat aversion after seeing one of the local markets our first night here. I'm not so squeamish. When I'm hungry, I eat what they put in front of me.

Garrett and Morgan, we miss you and love you very much! Sorry we can't Skype and see your faces but we are holding you tightly in our hearts! We found your book in Mom's suitcase and it made me cry. You know your Dad is a softy.

Tomorrow, we go to the orphanage and hope to see "V". If all goes well, we will post his picture! The Clarks said that he has grown a lot and that his face beamed when he heard we are here. Our faces are beaming too thinking about our joyful reunion!

To our family and friends, PLEASE post in this blog. We are eventually going to have it published in book form and it will be a great momento (almost like a scrap book). Some of you are e-mailing; it's just as easy to post. We treasure what you have told us and so will the kids.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is the Stones from NC. We are praying for you and for God's clear path and perfect provision. It has been such a blessing to readyour blog and Garrett and Morgan are just as beautiful as ever. We love you and can't wait to hear the rest of your journey. Know you are covered with prayers from NC!

Lou said...

Glad to hear you are only hours away from meeting your little one, and how excited he is to see you again! Can't wait to see pics!

Anonymous said...

Every chance I can I look at your blog and hope for a new post. Please tell my girls hello for me. Did the Clarks say anything about them? It is less than 2 weeks before we come. Thanks for posting all the photos. It looks like you guys are really having a lot of fun. I am sure you are so excited to see "V" again. I will be praying for you as you deal with the loss of "D" and how you will respond to her. I know it must be hard. Everyone I meet I tell them about us all and covet their prayers for us. Take care you guys and see you soon.

Rochelle & Misty said...

Pam & Kevin, I will try my luck with this again. I have already had one failed attempt! I talked to the kids last night and they seem to be doing well.Garrett told me he is being a really good boy, he is always a good boy in my opinion. He said he is taking good care of Buster and Mattie. Morgan is being a good girl, as always. She is helping around the house...she is always a good girl too. We are so excited every morning to read your new Blog, keep the pictures and updated information coming. We love you guys lots and can't wait to see pictures of our newest Grandson V! God Bless you guys and we wish you a speedy return.
Love you, Dad, Mom & Misty

Theosebes said...

Hey guys,
I want to see Pam in some pictures too! :)
We are going to get your 2 angels from the Chavez house later today. I will read both of your blogs to them when they get home and have them dictate a note to you as well.
Sleep well tonight and have a very blessed reunion with "V" when you wake up. I am glad to hear that you have fellowship and knees to bend with in prayer during this time. Know that all is well with Morgan and Garrett, that they miss you both, but are also being very brave without you here.
Under His Mercy,
the tween-sitters :)

adopting2fromUkraine said...

We once had the courage to try some type of breaded meat pastry that they cook right in front of you at the open market. We gave it to Karina and took bites of hers. lol We didn't get sick, even though it was dripping with grease!

We never bought any 'fresh' meat because we didn't have any way to cook it. But, I certainly can understand your friend's squeamishness.

At least you have a bed and a chair. Our friends had to pay extra for their chair in their apartment in Kirovograd. Did I forget to tell you about bungee cords? It's amazing how handy they are.

Looking forward to tomorrow's post:)

June

Lucky-Lover said...

Hi Kevin and Pam

I hurry home everyday to view the pictures and the details of your journey. I am so happy for you that this time is finally here.
I am so sad about D, you know how much I adored her when she had visited you. But I am looking forward to seeing V again. I read Kevins blog today and it brought tears to my eyes knowing how wonderful the meeting with you and V will be tomorrow. I will look forward to you post tomorrow.
Be safe and have a wonderful visit.

Love,
Janice

Matt and Aimee said...

"...Mexico meets Eastern Europe..", is exactly right. It is a whole different world. So glad to be home. Hang in there.
Matt

Connie said...

LOL! Your driver sounds much like ours in Russia. His name was Andre' and he was a former MIG pilot--SERIOUSLY!!! On top of that, there were NO seatbelts in any of the vehicles!!! Talk about new lessons in trusting God and His sovereignty!

Fortunately, not all of the adoption "journey" requires us to be in the passenger seat!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Kevin and Pam - I'm just about to leave for D-group. We're praying for you and glad you're doing well.

Love,

Mark and Joy Wyatt

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the pictures of "V" and to hear about your visit. I am very saddened to hear "D" will not be joining our family. However, am still very excited about our new family member(s), what a wonderful blessing. I have spoken to Garrett and Morgan several times, and they are so excited for all of you to come home too. I look forward to reading your blog each day, and it is a welcome diversion from the on-going political media and news. Can't wait for you to come home. I pray that Diana and her brother will find a home as wonderful as the one that you would have been able to provide to her, your kids are truly blessed to have such a loving, and caring family.

Love,

Aunt Roni

Anonymous said...

Kevin & Pam - the Thomas Clan will be praying for God's sovereign hand over your travels and your adoption process. Please keep us posted! We continue to pray for you and your family.

kevin & darci and kids

The Gift of Adoption

The Gift of Adoption

A very inspiring video! Please scroll to the bottom of our blog and turn off the music before you push play on the video. This way you will avoid having sound on both features.