About Me

My photo
Kevin and I have been married for 19 years. We have two heart grown children from the United States,adopted at birth, Garrett 16 and Morgan 14, one heart grown child from Ukraine in 2008, Justin age 13. We also have two dogs, Mattie and Halley, adopted from the local animal shelter. Adoption is close to our family's heart.

Monday, November 3, 2008

A Bittersweet Reunion

Today was probably one of the most draining days I have ever had.  We went to the local offical's office in Belgorod to get the letter we needed to visit the orphanage.  Our SDA referral letter had not only "V's" name on it but "D's" name too.  We let the lady know we couldn't go further with "D" because of her brother. The official then broke the news that "D" has TWO brothers.  She said she thought it would be in the best interest of "D" to be adopted by us instead of waiting for her and her brothers to be adopted together, which got our hopes up again.  She said she would make some calls to the region where "D" was born and check with the officials.  If they agreed and the director of the orphange agreed, then "D" could be separated from her brothers and we would be able to adopt her too.  We went to the orphange and met with the director who also agreed it would be in "D's" best interest.  She said she wanted us to visit with her too since "V" and "D" were in the same group.  

After finding out all of the kids backgrounds and medical history, the kids came in and greeted us.  They both jumped into our arms with excitement!  It was like we never missed a moment with them.  They grabbed our hands and off they took us to show us where they live.  After about an hour with high hopes in my heart, we received a call from our interpreter that the region where "D" was born said that they will not separate the children.  My heart is being torn out of my chest and I am dealing with all the emotions all over again.  We did not pursue this again and I have a hard time understanding it all.  I do know it made a difference to "D" to feel that love from us again.

"V" just could not stop talking about his Papa.  He is a boy who really needs a Papa!  He kept pointing out Kevin's muscles and saying that "Papa is very strong!"  It was great to see them both today.  We will continue to see "D" I am sure.  I don't know who or how the news that we can not bring her back with us is going to happen.  I do feel that we did everything in our power to try and give it our best shot with her.  I am not questioning God's sovereignty I am just feeling sad.  She has had a very hard life in a very short period of time and I hate to have to disappoint her again.  Please pray that God will allow her to have a family someday even if that family can't be us.

Adoption is not for the faint-hearted.  These kids are our fourth and fifth attempts.  We have been taken to the breaking point everytime and lost one between Garrett and Morgan.  God has used this process to bring us to our knees in total dependence on Him whenever we think that we are in control.  We need to rejoice both when The Vinedresser prunes us and when He grafts a new branch to our family.  We are sure that He will explain it all to us someday.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears are streaming down my face as I read this post. Why????!!! I was so excited for you. I am so sorry. I just don't understand it. I will keep praying. Have you seen my girls at all? I can hardly wait to see them. Again, I am so sorry. I am so happy that V is happy. This is indeed bittersweet. Love you!!!!

Connie said...

I so appreciate your 'groundedness' in your understanding of God and His providence. I also VERY much understand your desire and struggle to reconcile the twists and turns of building a family through international adoption.

You continue to be in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

I have no words for you! But I can tell you that I will be on my knees for you and I KNOW our God is still on His thrown. Your faith in the midst of obstacles and pain encourages me in our adoption journey.
God's blessings to you. Won't it be wonderful when we can finally see clearly what we only see dimly now?
Cindie

Unknown said...

Pam and Kevin,
I am so sorry about D. We have been praying that all things would work out and in spite of what we think, they will work for His glory. I am so sorry for the emotional roller coaster that you are on. We had a nice weekend with G and M. Gotta go vote!!!Love ya guys

Laurel said...

Oh, gosh...that is terrible. I'm so sorry your emotions are being torn, let alone poor "D's" emotions. I am so happy to read that you have that deep understanding of God's greater plan for each of you. We will keep praying and checking your blog daily.
Laurel

Debora Hoffmann said...

My heart is breaking for this little girl! Wouldn't they allow you to adopt her if you promised to adopt her brothers when they become available? I know this is a very difficult situation for you and for her. I will pray.

ArtworkByRuth said...

What an emotional roller coaster! Praying that God's will be done and if D is to remain with her brothers that the family that is to step forward for them comes soon! (Ukranian or foreign!) HUGS!

Elizabeth Rose said...

I am so blessed to read your blog. I am so excited for V...but I have to say I have a stomach ache after reading your situation with D. I cannot believe they will not release her to a loving family. Oh my heart breaks for her and for you too. i am praying for you and her. God is soveriegn and loves D more than anyone on this earth and will take care of her.

KonaDogBlog said...

Oh Pam. I am crying too. I was out of town and just now got your email with the blog. I can't help but think that you are STILL on the rollercoaster and things may change for you with D still. I will pray for her. I wish I could say this is unbelievable, but having been thru the Journey, it is not. I will be praying for your entire family...however large or small that may be. PLEASE if you see Inna, Vika and Tanya, tell them hello from us. Thank you!
Jen and Mike

KonaDogBlog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rochelle & Misty said...

This is so heartbreaking for all of us! D is such a beautiful little girl and I wish she could become a part of our family. I have not given up hope! Keep your head up high and hold on tight for the next Roller Coaster turn! I know you are both strong and the goodness of God will shine on all of you. Give the kids a hug from us.

Lucky-Lover said...

My heart breaks for you and for D
I pray that before you leave god will change the way for D and that all of you will be together.
I will pray for you.

Love
Janice

kahla1422 said...

Our hearts and prayers are with you both as you continue this emotional but worthwhile journey. We will definitely continue to pray for all of you (including V and D).
We are blessed by your strength and endurance in your pursuit to help these children.
God bless you bunches!

Anonymous said...

Pam and Kevin,

I am so excited that you got to see V and D. I can't imagine how hard it is with the news about D. I hope D finds a wonderful family, I can't imagine anyone more loving than you. I am happy about V, I know he can feel your love. I hope everything goes smoothly.

P.S. Still praying somehow God will find a way for D to be part of your family.

Lots of Love to you and V.

Vici

Anonymous said...

Has Kevin had any luck with his computer broadband access? We're thinking of buying a plan with Verizon if it works in Belgorod. By the way, our email is:
jmiltv@hotmail.com

Jim V

Lynette said...

I continue to pray. Update us soon and even if it isn't what you are thrilled to report. I know God is in all of this and loves D. more than we can even imagine. We love you guys and are enjoying watching God work out His faithfulness in your lives.

The Gift of Adoption

The Gift of Adoption

A very inspiring video! Please scroll to the bottom of our blog and turn off the music before you push play on the video. This way you will avoid having sound on both features.