About Me

My photo
Kevin and I have been married for 19 years. We have two heart grown children from the United States,adopted at birth, Garrett 16 and Morgan 14, one heart grown child from Ukraine in 2008, Justin age 13. We also have two dogs, Mattie and Halley, adopted from the local animal shelter. Adoption is close to our family's heart.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving in Ukraine!

If anyone would have asked me yesterday what I was doing for Thanksgiving today, I would have told them I would be wishing to have dinner with my family in CA. I had no plans. Last night Cindy Wolf commented on my blog about friends staying at the Odessa Suites where I am staying.

This morning we took it easy and didn't get showered or dressed until about 10:00am. I was just getting out of the shower when Justin yells Mama. I peek my head out of the bathroom door and Laurie Push was standing in the entryway of our room. Justin just let her in. I am glad it wasn't someone off the street! Anyway, with my hair sticking up all over I talked with Laurie, her husband Ed and daughter Maria for about half an hour and they invited me to go to dinner with them for Thanksgiving! What a wonderful suprise. The couple who hosted the party only live about a block up the street. Most everyone there was American. We had an amazing dinner, turkey and all the fixings. I felt like I was home with family. Everyone was extremely friendly, several were missionaries who helped in orphan ministry in Odessa. They welcomed Justin with open arms and could even speak Russian to him. They had several activities for the kids like face paint, pin the tail on the turkey, singing and even a movie. One of the ladies even explained to Justin what Thanksgiving was all about.

We went around the room and talked about things we are thankful for. I am thankful for firstly my salvation, my husband, all three of my children, my parents, sisters and their families, my amazing friends who have been helping with Garrett and Morgan, praying for us and supporting us in so many ways. I feel blessed beyond words! Although my time in Ukraine has had its moments of disappointments, I am so glad I have had this opportunity of a lifetime to meet my new son and new friends I have found half way around the world.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

happy thanksgiving - what a lot to be thankful for. i have teared up over all your entries - thanks for posting. can't wait to meet him. love the story about the cali kids and thanksgiving - talking to him on the phone - and LOVE that Justin wants to be with you all the time - cuddling and holding your hand!!!

Rochelle & Misty said...

Pam,
Yepeee, sounds like things are moving along in thr right direction, I am so excited!!! Give Justin a hug and a kiss from us. I am cooking a turkey and having everyone here for Thanksgiving dinner and we will all be thankful that your ordeal is almost over! Thanks to God for speeding your journey to bring you and Justin home. I am so glad you had a nice American Thanksgiving. It looks like you had a lot of fun.

Rochelle & Misty said...

What a treat! Now we can have three Thanksgivings: Odessa, Redondo and Home! The kids and I are SOOOO glad you to introduce Justin to Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for.

We love you!
Kevin, Garrett & Morgan

Anonymous said...

Dear Pam, Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and that you and Justin our bonding. I can't imagine how hard it must be in another country. We had dinner over at Mary Kates and thought of you and yours. I hope when you get home you cry a sigh of relief and love. We hope you can share Wigilia here with Tom and I,etc.
Hopefully the lights will all be on here!

We will all be so happy to see you.
Love, Michaely and Tom

The Gift of Adoption

The Gift of Adoption

A very inspiring video! Please scroll to the bottom of our blog and turn off the music before you push play on the video. This way you will avoid having sound on both features.